What is the full form of BCG?
Full Form of BCG – Bacillus Calmette-Guerin
The full form of BCG is Bacillus Calmette-Guerin. BCG is an effective vaccine used in immunization against tuberculosis and helps in building immunity against tuberculosis. Basically, BCG is a weakened version of bacteria called Mycobacterium Bovis, very closely related to the Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the agent responsible for tuberculosis.
This vaccine was very first developed by two French bacteriologists; Camille Guerin and Albert Calmette and was firstly used by Dr Weil-Hale in 1921 for the treatment of the child suffering from tuberculosis.
This vaccine is given only to those patients, who are at higher risk developing tuberculosis. It is also given to those people, who are suffering from bladder tumours and bladder cancer.
How BCG Vaccine Works?
BCG is a weakened version of bacteria called Mycobacterium Bovis, very closely related to the Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the agent responsible for tuberculosis. Mycobacterium Bovis is a type of bacteria, which causes TB. When this vaccine is administered in the body, its stimulate the immune system of the body in response to the bacteria with no more generating the disease.
The antibodies of this vaccine remain in the body which protects from future infections attack of the same bacteria.
That is, it produces antibodies and protects against the bacteria of TB by providing immunity against tuberculosis.
Who should not get BCG?
Use of this vaccine, suffering from the below may create difficulties for the peoples suffering from:
- Have an HIV infection
- Have had TB before
- Have a positive Mantoux (skin) test
- Pregnant women.
- Have weak immune system due to a specific condition.
Precautions and Care While Using BCG
- Should not be taken without consulting a doctor.
- While using, if the vaccination area starts to ooze, make sure to use a dry dressing with gauze.
- Do not apply any ointment, band-aid, antiseptic cream, etc.
- Make sure to Keep the vaccination area clean and dry for around 24 hours.
- Sterile alcohol swab can be used to clean the area (If required).